The per-object Galactic Extinction correction currently requires lsst.sims.catUtils to be setup as it uses its EBVbase class (in lsst.sims.catUtils.dust.EBV) to obtain the color excess, E(B-V), at a given RA, DEC. The call is thus put here in a try/except to fall back to the per-field correction (currently only hard-coded for the five tracts of HSC RC2 + RC datasets) if the sims repo is not setup until we can access the EBVbase class from an lsst_distrib installation (to be discussed with the sims team).
I made the sims code accessible to an lsst_distrib installation on lsst-dev with the following:
$ mkdir -p ~/LSST/sims/ups_db
$ export EUPS_PATH=~/LSST/sims:$EUPS_PATH
$ eups distrib install sims_catUtils -t sims
[where ~ evaluates to /home/lauren/ here]
The installed sims package is version 2.8.0.
And the package is setup as follows:
$ setup -k sims_catUtils -t sims
Hsin-Fang Chiang has confirmed that she can set this repo up herself and did a test run on the PDR1 data reprocessing (results can currently, but temporarily, be seen https://lsst-web.ncsa.illinois.edu/~hchiang2/lauren_DM-13519/ – this will be redone once this ticket is closed). Thus, anyone on lsst-dev could setup the repo in my /home/lauren/LSST/sims directory to make use of it having setup an lsst_distrib installation.
As a check on the extinction corrections applied I confirmed that the mean value matches that used for the "per-field" correction (currently hardwired for the 5 RC2 + old RC datasets), and I created plots of the galactic extinction applied to each object for all bands, e.g.
The following example of the wPerp Principal Color fit:
Note that there are "fit" and "wired" results displayed. The latter is the current "canonical" value that is hardwired and the former is a live fit to the current dataset. The wired coefficients came from the tract shown as a "happy medium" between the three RC2 tracts. These may be adjusted again based on the PDR1 reprocessing (after running the full run through colorAnalysis with the per-object GE correction applied, see DM-14590.)
The full set of results using the per-object GE correction can currently be perused here: https://lsst-web.ncsa.illinois.edu/~lauren/lauren/DM-13519/w_2018_22/
The fit and wired Principal Color axes will be added to the figures in