Uploaded image for project: 'Data Management'
  1. Data Management
  2. DM-1352

ORIGINATORID value can churn too quickly.

    Details

    • Type: Story
    • Status: Done
    • Resolution: Done
    • Fix Version/s: None
    • Component/s: Middleware
    • Labels:
      None

      Description

      The ORIGINATORID is a 64-bit word consisting of an IPv4 host address, 16-bit process id, and 16-bit local value. In addition to the 16-bit process id not being standard across platforms (Mac OS >Leopard goes to 99999), the churn rate for the local value should be much higher than just 16 bits.

      This could be fixed to changing ORIGINATORID to a 32-bit process id and a separate value for the local value, which would be specified together in the DM event selector. I have to look into this more to see if this is a viable solution.

      This might need to go to three separate values to future proof it (i.e., ipv6).

        Attachments

          Issue Links

            Activity

            Hide
            ktl Kian-Tat Lim added a comment -

            If you don't need to decompose this id, you could use a hash function.

            Show
            ktl Kian-Tat Lim added a comment - If you don't need to decompose this id, you could use a hash function.
            Hide
            spietrowicz Steve Pietrowicz added a comment -

            This was accessible with the selector in and EventReceiver as a single value. The selector is used by the event broker to filter messages on the server side, and can have multiple values.

            This was changed to split this information into three parts, host name, process id, and local id. The host name used to be a numeric representation of the ip address; since the originator id is on longer a single value, I changed this to be a host name.

            As part of this, I moved the host name out of the basic event header, and moved it to be solely used as part of the originator id info for CommandEvent and StatusEvent. This would have been duplicate information.

            These changes are now in place, and I'm going to move this to "In Review" when the rest of the related tickets are completed, so it can be reviewed all at once because of the number of changes that have been made. This work is under ctrl_events/tickets/dm-1350.

            Show
            spietrowicz Steve Pietrowicz added a comment - This was accessible with the selector in and EventReceiver as a single value. The selector is used by the event broker to filter messages on the server side, and can have multiple values. This was changed to split this information into three parts, host name, process id, and local id. The host name used to be a numeric representation of the ip address; since the originator id is on longer a single value, I changed this to be a host name. As part of this, I moved the host name out of the basic event header, and moved it to be solely used as part of the originator id info for CommandEvent and StatusEvent. This would have been duplicate information. These changes are now in place, and I'm going to move this to "In Review" when the rest of the related tickets are completed, so it can be reviewed all at once because of the number of changes that have been made. This work is under ctrl_events/tickets/dm-1350.

              People

              • Assignee:
                spietrowicz Steve Pietrowicz
                Reporter:
                spietrowicz Steve Pietrowicz
                Watchers:
                Kian-Tat Lim, Steve Pietrowicz
              • Votes:
                0 Vote for this issue
                Watchers:
                2 Start watching this issue

                Dates

                • Created:
                  Updated:
                  Resolved:

                  Summary Panel