As part of the developing strategy for designing clearer interfaces into the Science Platform:
Firefly should recognize tabular data in ObsCore format and expose appropriate behavior when it is received in any form carrying sufficient metadata for it to be recognized.
The result should not be strongly dependent on whether the ObsCore data are received via a "manual" table upload via the Firefly API, the opening of a file (e.g., from a workspace) in this format, or via the normal Firefly search processor API.
This ticket covers only recognizing the table and providing the behavior, not the provision of any search screens or other interfaces that assist the user in finding/retrieving ObsCore-formatted data. However, it is worth noting here that implementing this ticket is a key predecessor to providing good support in Firefly for SIAv2 and ObsTAP searches, in particular.
- Recognizing the "s_ra" and "s_dec" columns (UCDs "pos.eq.ra" and "pos.eq.dec") and displaying all of the corresponding points, if not nulled, in a context image (especially a HiPS image). A "blank" context image should be supported eventually, but this is not required at first.
- Recognizing the "s_region" column in an ObsCore data table and successfully displaying it, if not nulled, as a geometrical region in a context image (especially a HiPS image). It should be API-selectable whether all regions are always displayed, with the highlighted row in the table having its region highlighted in the context image, or whether only the highlighted row has its region displayed at all.
- Recognizing the "access_url" column, displaying it as a link, and enabling the link to be used for a download of the associated data file.
- Recognizing "dataproduct_type=image" rows and loading and displaying the associated images if the "access_format" value suggests that Firefly should understand the image data format (FITS, HiPS, or a browser-displayable image such as JPEG, PNG, SVG).
- There must be API support for supplying the context image to be used. (It may be useful to design the system so that a context image could be inferred from data in the table itself, e.g., the "facility_name", "instrument_name", and "obs_collection". That is not a Priority 1 requirement, though.)
- This ticket does not mandate providing any search-form support for SIAv2 or ObsTAP. However, if a valid URL for a method=GET synchronous search on such a service, returning valid ObsCore data, is provided to Firefly in the existing "Upload table from URL" screen it must be recognized as ObsCore and displayed appropriately. This is a key feature for testing as well as for demonstrations of the capability.
This ticket captures only the "priority one" items from DM-15783.