The changes look OK. However, at least on my machine, a few of the unit tests are failing. Do these pass on buildBot? If so, I won't worry about it. They are specific failures, unrelated to the change in this ticket.
BTW, I did not get this stream of questions in my email, or perhaps it is being spam filtered. I apologize for not responding.
As far as the "return" is concerned, my recollection is that at the time, the setDefaults was not working correctly, though I only have a vague recollection of it. I don't think there was a super class setDefault() call in the original code, and perhaps there should have been. I was therefore forced to put these settings in other places to get the unit tests to pass.
I checked it in in this weird state because Simon thought that the code needed rework, and that someone would be assigned to work on it when he got some new hires and could figure out the problems. I should have commented why the return was there at the time.