Uploaded image for project: 'Data Management'
  1. Data Management
  2. DM-34488

Write a technote describing our findings using Kafka for telescope control

    XMLWordPrintable

Details

    • Story
    • Status: Done
    • Resolution: Done
    • None
    • ts_middleware
    • None
    • 5
    • TSSW Sprint - Apr 11 - Apr 25, TSSW Sprint - Apr 25 - May 09
    • Telescope and Site
    • No

    Description

      Write a T&S tech note (TSTN) describing the Kafka version of ts_salobj and lessons learned, with a focus on performance and compatibility

      Attachments

        Issue Links

          Activity

            rowen Russell Owen added a comment - - edited Pull request: https://github.com/lsst-tstn/tstn-033/pull/1 Rendered: https://tstn-033.lsst.io/v/DM-34488/index.html

            Review done on GH, PR approved. Thank you very much for the detailed documentation page.

            I left some comments in the PR I hope you will take into account but, other than that, I think it is good to go.

            tribeiro Tiago Ribeiro added a comment - Review done on GH, PR approved. Thank you very much for the detailed documentation page. I left some comments in the PR I hope you will take into account but, other than that, I think it is good to go.

            Thank you for a very helpful review. I made the following updates:

            Rework the Performance as follows:

            • Include our requirements.
            • Add the MTMount trackTarget command and updated the latency table to show latency when sending messages at 20 Hz, since our main latency requirement is for tracking commands at 20 Hz. (Latency when writing flat out is not very interesting, since it will go up if the reader is struggling to keep up. In particular, that made the DDS latency look artificially bad.)

            Remove all use of "I", often by replacing with "we" (since I dislike passive voice) and some rewriting to make it closer to that you suggested.

            rowen Russell Owen added a comment - Thank you for a very helpful review. I made the following updates: Rework the Performance as follows: Include our requirements. Add the MTMount trackTarget command and updated the latency table to show latency when sending messages at 20 Hz, since our main latency requirement is for tracking commands at 20 Hz. (Latency when writing flat out is not very interesting, since it will go up if the reader is struggling to keep up. In particular, that made the DDS latency look artificially bad.) Remove all use of "I", often by replacing with "we" (since I dislike passive voice) and some rewriting to make it closer to that you suggested.
            rowen Russell Owen added a comment -

            I don't want to keep dragging this ticket out so I'll file a new ticket to put finishing touches on the document.

            rowen Russell Owen added a comment - I don't want to keep dragging this ticket out so I'll file a new ticket to put finishing touches on the document.

            People

              rowen Russell Owen
              rowen Russell Owen
              Dave Mills, Tiago Ribeiro
              Dave Mills, Michael Reuter, Russell Owen, Tiago Ribeiro
              Votes:
              0 Vote for this issue
              Watchers:
              4 Start watching this issue

              Dates

                Created:
                Updated:
                Resolved:

                Jenkins

                  No builds found.