I have tested this thoroughly on several different datasets (including HSC RC2, imsim/DC2, and LATISS collections) and altering config defaults using the attached notebook (note: there are a few things to edit if you want to run yourself, namely the details specifying the specific collection you want to look at and the output directory if you want to persist pngs of the plots). Various examples are attached.
I am leaving adding an entry into out regularly run pipelines for another ticket as it will require a discussion on how we want these plots to be partitioned/named. As such, I also did not want to officially register any dataset names into our repos until that discussion has occurred, so I tested running the attached pipeline coveragePlots.yaml (again varying many of the config parameters) on a local ci_hsc_gen3 repo with the following command:
$ pipetask --long-log run -d "instrument='HSC' AND skymap='discrete/ci_hsc'" -b /sdf/data/rubin/user/laurenma/LSST/ci_hsc_gen3/DATA --input HSC/runs/ci_hsc --output u/laurenma/DM-34625 -p /sdf/group/rubin/user/laurenma/tickets/DM-34625/coveragePlots.yaml#raDecCoveragePlots,focalPlaneCoveragePlots
The resulting plots look like (note there are very few visits in ci_hsc_gen3!):