I've had a quick look at the logging and learned that:
0. The "Value Failure" debug log message in calibType.py is not very useful unless the thing being logged has a string representation.
1. It's probably a good idea to turn it on.
2. You do get a runtime failure in the test if you have mistyped or miscounted the variables in the log message.
3. Log output does not get sent to stdout if we use xdist (which we do). There is an option to send log output to a file for later inspection but we'd need to modify jenkins to make that file available. It's annoying that log output does not get embedded in the JUnit XML file which we are already harvesting.
4. The output of logging in tests is very informative.
5. I have no idea what the test failure was in this ticket because the tests do all pass even with DEBUG enabled and there is code coverage of the lines in question. mfisherlevine do you have a copy of the actual error that this is fixing?
I will file a ticket for doing at least the minimum of internally setting log level to DEBUG