I checked and those patch files were indeed not relevant any longer.
I find it strange that I get told there are no clang patches to apply but that seems to have been saying that for ages.
I have one main comment and that is I have no idea what version of astrometry.net this really contains. I would prefer it if we took the ngmix approach of including an upstream SHA1 in the version number of the file (and later tag). Also, since your Makefile patches have not (yet) been accepted by upstream we should include them explicitly in a patches directory. Otherwise, in a few months we will have no way of understanding which astrometry.net we are really using.