Status: Won't Fix
Fix Version/s: None
Sprint:DevOps Sprint 1, DevOps Sprint 2
The proposed mission statement for the LSST Software Stack development:
Enabling LSST science by creating a well documented, state-of-the-art, high-performance, scalable, multi-camera, open source, O/IR survey data processing and analysis system
with the following rationale:
- well documented – as otherwise it will be impossible to maintain or be usable for Level 3
- state-of-the-art – because the quality of the instrument and needs of the science to be systematic limited require us to develop new algorithms an break new ground in a number of areas
- high-performance – because of the massive amount of data we need to process for a reasonable budget
- scalable – because we need it to run from between a single core (for developers, or Level 3 users) to tens of thousands of cores (for Data Release production)
- multi-camera – because we need to process precursor data for development purposes, and because our as-delivered camera won't be ideal.
- open source – because we want the community and future surveys to benefit from our efforts.